Five Tips To Enhance The Visitor Experience Of Your Blog
The content of a blog is what will initially attract readers to a site, but getting readers there is only half the battle. Getting them to keep coming back will depend on what kind of experience they have with the blog. There are some easy ways to improve a blog that will keep people coming back for more.
Five ways to make a blog more enjoyable
Improving a visitor’s experience with a blog doesn’t mean revamping the entire site. There are a few simple steps any blogger can take to make their blog a joy to read.
1. Text – Choosing the right fonts for headlines and text is extremely important. While it might be fun to use different fonts in an effort to make a statement, it can be very frustrating for readers. Using one for headlines and another for text is a good idea, but make sure they are clean and easy to read. Text size is also important, so don’t make it too small or too large.
2. Keep it fresh – If content is not added to the blog on a regular basis, readers may find another one to visit. It doesn’t need to be updated every day, but at least two or three times a week is a decent goal. In addition, arrange the blog so the most recent posts are at the top so readers don’t have to scroll down to find the latest information.
3. Organization – Keep the appearance of the blog clean and make sure it’s easy to find past postings. Provide links in the post that will take the reader to past articles that are relevant. Many sites list previous blogs along the right side, categorized by date or topic. Photos and links to social media sites are also nice, but don’t add so many that they distract from what is written.
4. Headings – Use headings to break up the content when transitioning from one point to another. This will help separate copy and make it easier on the eye. Try to keep information under each heading to around three or four paragraphs. Today’s reader prefers quick and easy content that can be scanned, rather than large chunks of copy.
5. Images – Pictures can add a great touch to any content, unless the wrong photo or graphic is chosen. Use an image that conveys the real meaning of the article, or be creative in the way it is displayed. Crop in on elements of the photo that the eye may not normally be drawn to, as long as the focus of the new picture still relates to the article. Choosing the wrong photo can leave readers confused.
Improving the visitor experience of a blog can be very simple and only requires using a little common sense. Think about what readers will be drawn to and work toward providing it for them. Clean, easy to read designs will go a long way to encouraging readers to come back time after time.
Author Bio: Sarah Peterson writes for a website that reviews customer service software for web-based businesses. She thinks a good blog is a useful tool for a business to use to engage visitors with its products and services.
Find me on Google+